Aquatint Action



Thought I would update with an aquatint for all of you! I've been quite busy trying to relax after a stressful, yet wonderful spring semester. I can officially call myself a senior now!! As for the image, this is an aquatint that has been through four phases of dipping and burnishing. I intend to make the plate even darker than this one, but this was one of the tests I was most pleased with.

*Someone had asked what an aquatint is, and thought I should add the description of it in this post. An aquatint etching is when you take a copper or tin plate and spray it and dip the plate in a cloric acid that bites into the plate. This creates the texture and darkness you see in my aquatint above. You can also scrape and burnish into a plate to soften edges, which is what I'm attempting with the smoke. It's a very tedious technique involving hard ground which is a toxic liquid you use to "stop out" the whites of your image.

** I've also added the original drawing that the etching was copied from.

I also have plenty of other work that I would like to show all of you--and it will be up shortly. I promise I have tons of goodies to display in the upcoming posts!

Take care,

-h.

7 comments:

Carly said...

I love how that came out!

Frame Theory said...

What is an aquatint? It came out nice. Get ready fo' Throwback! September '09

Pop-Monkey said...

I gots no idea what aquatint is, but it looks great! Can't wait to see the rest of the stuff you've got to show.

willie real said...

here you go Haylee...

williereal@gmail.com

cool stuff by the way! =]

Kendra Melton said...

that process sounds intense, the tediousness paid off. Looks great.

Eric Braddock said...

Looking really nice :)

Roland MacDonald said...

Nice image. Aquatint is great.