Oils+Galkyd Lite= Love


Thought I'd give a quick post of a 3 hour figure painting done this past week. I was able to experiment with the galkyd lite medium, and love it. I'm very pleased with the results. This time around, the model decided to challenge us with adding in her glasses. It was fun and frustrating, and was a rewarding challenge. I feel I'm finally getting a decent grip on this whole painting idea.

My next illustration should be up here shortly, meanwhile head on over here to read some solid conversation about life and art. I was able to include James Gurney's commentary on such a deep subject of human relationship and love.

14 comments:

M said...

the colors and brushstrokes are great - I love the warm reddish yellows and greenish blacks.

Haylee said...

Thanks,M! I'm discovering that mixing your own black gives the painting more personality.

Kendra Melton said...

it's got some great warmth and mood. how would you describe the medium's drying time? Did it make your strokes smoother or tacky? Keep up the good work!

Haylee said...

Hey Kendra, thanks for the kind words. The medium made the brush work much smoother, allowing for great texture. Although the medium is fast drying so it forces you to paint much more quickly, but that helps me with decision making within a 3 hr. session. :)

Unknown said...

Beautiful!

willie real said...

nice! cool hair do

Haylee said...

Thank you Alina and Willie!

RAWLS said...

Great work Hayls! I LOVE the sketches from the last post! Nice stuff my friend!

Haylee said...

Haha...Hayls...I like that! Thanks so much Rawls, your comments are always welcome. :)

dadu shin said...

great job with suggesting and not going crazy with the face, really works well! also like the confidence of your line in your sketchbooks.

J said...

Oh most definitely you are getting a great grip on this painting thing...thanks for showing us your work and looking forward to many more posts.

Anonymous said...

Very good!

I found my way from Mr. Gurney´s blog to you.
I think you would make a fantastic mermaid too. :)

Merry greetings

Ál

Duncan Barton said...

haylee, wonderful sketchbook and the painting's looking great! I hope the year is going well for you. I'll be checking back for more.

Raul Avila said...

un buen trabajo, con mucha soltura